Sunday, November 3, 2013

Little Ostrich Skin Shoes


Little Ostrich Skin Shoes

                               -Joy S. Barefoot

 

I bought new shoes, fashioned of ostrich skin;

dyed the color of ground mustard seed;

pretty shoes, with tiny heels

looking sharp on my feet.

They matched some of the colors

in the print of swirling Viking ships

encircling and swishing

about my freshly shaven legs

Shoes, a perfect accent

for that expensive sundress from Jelleff's

at Seven Corners.

It took a lot of my teacher's check

to buy those shoes;

shoes that clicked off

down that hospital hall,

leading my Mama to see her Papa.

 

“You look like you own this place”,

Mama said to me

as I clicked

those snappy little ostrich skin shoes

down the hall

of the Floyd County, Georgia hospital.

Mama was proud of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment