Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Fisticuffs in the Nursing Home (News from Miss Kathleen McNutt)

 
There was an old lady
laid up in her bed;
annoyed by an old man,
not right in the head.

He came calling one night,
acting very ill-bred.
With an empty bottle
she cracked him on the head
 
Not easily dissuaded,
upon his first try
he returned again
with a gleam in his eye.
 
On this unlucky eve
as he climbed on her bed
a water-filled bottle
cracked him on the head.
 
"I've been in a fisticuffs!"
she blithely told me,
"with a feisty old man
who tried to bed me;
 
now when I see him,
'Don't hit me', he'll say.
He covers his head
and  gets out of my away."
 
(This was told to me, on a visit to the nursing home, by my "feisty" poetry writing friend in her ninety-fifth year.  She had an amazing mind and had self-published two poetry/prose books of her own collection.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment