Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Wayfare Church (The Hole in the Stone)

Old southern tree moss

swayed gently, high above me.

The buff colored dirt

was pounded

around the worn stones.

There were names,

not unlike my own,

barely visible,

as the whole of the stones

seemed to fall away,

grain by gravelly grain.

My eyes traced the edge

of the stone,

hypnotized

by the hole in its edge.

Twins laid buried here

sharing a coffin.

Twins whose love for each other

robbed me of uncles

in that dark and

swampy river.

“My grandfather

made the double coffin.”

Pointing again,

she said “Your grandfather is here.”,

I knew the story.

That dark and swampy lake

had, again, robbed me,

swallowing up my grandfather

but there was no stone,

not even one with a hole in it.

Joy Stalvey Barefoot

June 4, 1990


No comments:

Post a Comment